All incoming freshmen who wish to be admitted to the University Honors Program will need to complete a separate Honors application (in addition to the CSU application). The honors application is linked to the CSU Application for admissions. Students who meet the minimum GPA to be accepted to the program will be invited to complete our additional Honors application. The minimum high school GPA required for admission to the Honors program is 3.7.
The Honors application involves two steps:
1. Complete the online application form through the CSU admission application website.
2. Have at least one high school teacher complete a recommendation form. An email address for the teacher should be included in the Honors application. The Honors program will contact the teacher directly with instructions about how to complete and submit the recommendation.
More detailed application instructions can be viewed here. Applications are also welcome from motivated students who have not been invited to apply. Follow the application procedures described above for invited students.
Preference for admission to the UHP is given to high school students who have:
- Rigorous, extensive, and in-depth academic preparation in subjects such as Humanities, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and History. Most successful applicants have completed or are taking AP, IB, or dual college courses.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Superb records of academic achievement as indicated by grade point average, class rank, and standardized test scores.
- An application narrative and a recommendation that show promise for high academic achievement in university work.
- Good character and integrity as verified in the teacher recommendation.
- Special accomplishments, life experiences, and talents (for example, service and leadership) that add diversity to the incoming class.
- A desire to participate in an honors environment.
All incoming Honors freshmen receive a $1000/year Honors scholarship after they confirm that they wish to participate in the program. Additional university merit scholarships are also awarded to qualified students. Students who wish to be considered for these merit scholarships are strongly encouraged to apply to CSU by the early action deadline (December 1) to receive full consideration. CSU application materials (application, transcript, test scores, and recommendation letters) must be complete by February 1st to be eligible for most merit scholarships. For more information on freshmen merit scholarships and deadlines, please see the Student Financial Services website.