Early applicants have a much better chance of being admitted!
All incoming freshmen who wish to be admitted to the University Honors Program will need to complete a separate Honors application, which is linked to the CSU Application for Admissions. Students who meet the minimum GPA requirement of 3.8 will be invited to complete our additional Honors application. Applications will not be reviewed until a student has been officially admitted to Colorado State University AND a completed Honors application has been submitted.
Preference for admission to the University Honors Program is given to high school students who have:
- Rigorous, extensive, and in-depth academic preparation in subjects such as Humanities, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and History. Most successful applicants have completed or are taking AP, IB, or dual college courses and have earned good grades in those courses.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Superb records of academic achievement as indicated by grade point average, class rank, and standardized test scores.
- An application narrative and a recommendation that show promise for high academic achievement in university work.
- Special accomplishments, life experiences, and talents (for example, service and leadership) that add diversity to the incoming class.
- A desire to participate in, and contribute to, an honors community.
The Honors Program application consists of a brief online application form with short-answer essay responses to four prompts. The Honors application review committee will also have access to all materials submitted as part of the on-line CSU Admissions application. The Honors application review committee will consider several factors including GPA, ACT/SAT test scores, class rank, rigor of high school coursework, extracurricular activities and responses to the honors application questions.
Honors Program Application Priority Date
The Honors application date is February 1. In some cases, we may ask for additional information (such as fall grades) before making a final decision. After the deadline has passed, qualified students may be placed on a waiting list if the program is at capacity.
Apply through CSU Admissions!
Honors Program Admissions Decisions
Offers of admission to the Honors Program are conditional upon high school graduation and satisfactory completion of, and performance in, senior year course work.
Incoming transfer students who have been admitted to CSU are invited to apply to the program if they have demonstrated records of high academic achievement at the college level. The minimum college cumulative GPA for consideration in the UHP is 3.50. Students in this category should contact the UHP office to obtain assistance with the application process.
These students must be admitted to the program jointly though the Honors Program and their departments. The recruitment and admissions process is coordinated through the University Honors Program, but the final admission decision is made by the student's academic department.
The criteria for admission into the UHP for currently enrolled students are similar to that for transfer students. To be eligible for admission to the Honors Program, a student will need at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA at CSU. Students who are encouraged to apply to Track 2 by faculty in their department should contact the UHP office to obtain assistance with the application process. The final admission decision into Track 2 for currently enrolled students is made by the Honors Program and the student's academic department.